About Francesco Vicenzi
I am a Italian photographer based in Melbourne, Australia, where I landed after a number of places and experiences that shaped me as a professional.
I started my career as a photojournalist in 2007, shooting for La Repubblica in Italy, after completing a degree in Media. My passion for photography as a powerful tool of social change encouraged me to travel and work in many countries. These include Central and South America, where I worked for a Costa Rican weekly magazine The Tico Times.
I have also been working on long-term photography projects based around subcultures and independent music scenes in Melbourne. For example, independent festival, sound system gigs, and social movements.
In Melbourne, I ran a studio for a year before moving on to location based work. In that time I have refined my skills in commercial photography and portraiture, as you can see on my commercial website www.organicphoto.com.au
Artistic experience, publications and awards.
- Head On Festival 2016 - "Nepal After the Quake" Associated Exhibition @ TAP Gllery
- Trans-Siberian Art Centre - Exhibition 2011
- 2010-2011 – Kuna Yala Climate Change Refugees – Panama (photo-report for National Geographic Italy ); Sloth Rescue Centre – Costa Rica (photo-report for National Geographic Italy and Tico Times); Devil’s Ark – Save the Tasmanian devil – Australia (photo-report for National Geographic Italy)
- August 2009 – Festival Kaleidoskop in Tuzla (Bosnia) group exhibition.
- March 2009- Silver Award in "Iceberg 2009" Bologna biennial arts contest in the category “photoreport”.
- October 2008 - Published photoreport and article "Recovered Universe, travel into Argentinian squatted factory" in the Italian national magazine Carta no.33/2008 .
- September 2008 – personal exhibition "Universo Recuperado, viaggio nell'autogestione operaia in Argentina" ("Recovered Universe, travel into argentinian re-taken factory") in “La Cite' Caffe' letterario” (Florence, Italy)
- April 2007 – Selected for the collective young artists exhibition “Emersione 2007” in Bologna (Italy).